Sunday, March 18, 2012

Much Too Fast

I sat in church today... by myself...

It feels strange not having either Emma or Ben in my arms at church.  I find it hard to concentrate on the lesson as I keep one ear listening for cries in the hallway.  Everytime the door opens, I check to see if it's going to be for me.

It's been three weeks today since Ben started going to Nursery.  He loves being able to get down and run.  He doesn't love having me NOT there!  It's a struggle to try to sneak out and then listen to him cry for 'mama'!  It's a constant battle to know whether to leave him crying or 'rescue' him.  Thankfully, we have really good Nursery leaders that have given him lots of cuddles and reassurance that I will return!  I'm told that he only cried for about five minutes today (as opposed to the 20 minutes the first time).  I feel guilty sometimes that I don't go running to save him, but I know that he needs to learn to do things without me glued to his side!  Emma never had this issue.  She saw toys and other kids and she was gone!  Not that she wasn't glad to see me when I came to get her, but she didn't ever freak out when I left. 

I find it scary how fast they are both growing up.  Ben is saying more and more words.  Emma speaks in complete sentences and definitely knows what she wants... and when she wants it!  They are so funny to watch together.  They mimic each other and definitely copy everything that Lennard and I say (which is a little unnerving at times). 

I love how excited they get to see each other after naps.  Ben has started giving Emma hugs - which is cute to watch, but Emma's not a huge fan of them! 

It's a constant chore trying to keep up to the two of them.  They both LOVE to run and usually in the opposite direction of where I need them to go!  I try not to take them in to stores by myself unless there is a cart to strap them in to!

Truly, I feel blessed to be their mom.  It's been a definite adjustment and there are days where you just have to shake your head, but overall - it is the best feeling in the world when they wrap their arms around me and give slobbery kisses.

3 comments:

  1. It really is amazing how fast the time flies.
    After spending year and years in nursery my best advice (if he continues to have troubles or it gets worse) is to spend an entire sunday in the nursery with him and assure him you wont leave. This allows him to just realize that nursery is fun and to relax a bit and then each week over the next month or so shorten the time you spend in there. For almost every child that had a hard time adjusting this worked wonders and gave them a chance to love nursery instead of being dropped at the door in tears.
    Good luck! Before you know it you will be like me with a son in Sunbeams that asks to go back to nursery each and every week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely hard to know what would work better for him. I'm scared that if I stay he'll want me there ALL the time. We're going to try having Lennard take them next week and see if it goes any smoother! Guess we'll see after that if we need to switch things up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will for sure get better. Just do what you can to make it a positive experience, something he will look forward to with excitement each week (it just takes time). Once he gets more comfortable with it he won't even notice for more then a moment that you left and he will start to realize you always come back. I have even found trying to encourage a bond with a particular nursery worker or child can make a huge difference too so that he has someone he feels comfort in when you aren't there (try to find opportunities to interact with them for a few moments here and there outside of nursery or during the week).

    ReplyDelete