Sunday, August 25, 2013

Big Changes

For the past three years (almost), I have been the Stake Bulletin Rep.  Translation:  compile all the e-mails from around the area that need to go in bulletins and send out an e-mail to all the ward reps once a week. When I had two tiny babies this was the ideal calling, but lately I've felt a little under-used.  I loved not having to worry about finding subs, but it's definitely been a very solitary calling.

Having said all that, when I got called to meet with the bishop two weeks ago, I was completely shocked to hear that they were going to be calling me as the new Primary President!  Yikes!  Talk about a change.

I was handed a photocopied section on Primary from the handbook, a ward list and the assignment to pick counselors and a secretary.  The next few days were spent pouring over the list, narrowing down names and praying that I would find the right people to support me in this calling.  To make matters even more interesting, the bishopric was also changing the Relief Society and Young Women presidencies at the same time!  Amazingly with all the names submitted, there was only one name that two organizations wanted... and I got her!

Church today was a bit surreal.  As Sunday School ended and we started to head in to Sacrament meeting, I felt like I was in a dream.  Pretty soon the Bishop stood up and started reading off names of all the people that were being released from callings... there were 28!  Then came time for all the new callings.  The Bishop got a bit choked up as he talked about how change is good and how these new presidencies will help the ward grow.  The new Relief Society presidency (4) was then announced and then Primary (4) and then Young Women's (11).  It was an interesting feeling standing there as all the names were being called.  It's been a long time since I've been in a presidency (since we lived in Fredericton!).

I was a little shocked at the number of women called into Young Women as it makes finding new Primary teachers a bit more challenging, but at the same time, I'm excited to see all the changes that are taking place and curious to see how it's all going to work in the future.  This coming weekend will be a bit 'interesting' as not only do we need to find teachers for nursery and Sunbeams, but it's a long weekend, so I'm sure there will be other teachers gone too!

I met with the past president tonight and got a brief overview of all the various programs that I am now responsible for overseeing.  It's a little overwhelming how large Primary really is!  Not only to you have the Sunday classes to oversee, there is Sharing Time, Set up, Conducting, Activity Day girls, Cubs, 11-yr old Scouts, Baptisms, Priesthood Preview, Ward Counsel meetings, presidency meetings, Stake Training, Primary Presentation etc.  I'm SO glad that I have good counselors to help with all this!

We meet as a presidency for the first time tomorrow afternoon, so I'm really hoping that we can come up with a game plan for at least this coming Sunday.  We're going to have to get going on the Primary Presentation by the week after that as it is already scheduled for the 22nd of September!  It's going to be busy!  A little different than sending out an e-mail once a week (which I'm still doing for now!).

4 comments:

  1. Have fun! You will start enjoying it in about six months.....it takes a while to get your feet wet with this calling. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you all the best. I have found that supportive counselors do make all the difference. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alicia! It's going to be interesting!

      Delete