Thursday, February 27, 2014

First Trip to the Dentist

It never fails that something crazy happens when you least expect it.  The kids were playing around last night with Ben standing on a small chair by the island.  He took a step and unfortunately fell and hit his chin on the island on the way down.  There was the most horrible crunch sound and then screams!  So not good.  We finally got him calmed down enough to look in his mouth to see what he’d done.  There was enough blood that we couldn’t see much, but once he rinsed his mouth out it was very clear that he’d broken his back right molar.  A large chunk was missing and it was quite sharp.  I did the crazy mom thing and called our dentist at his house!  He wasn’t there, but he did call me later in the evening.  He said that most likely the piece that broke off exposed the dentin which will cause sensitivity when eating or drinking.  He told me to call in to the office in the morning see when they could get him in.

2014-02-27a

They managed to fit him in at 11:00, so I left Emma with Shannon at Stay & Play and took Ben.  He thought it was great when the first thing he saw was a TV with Caillou playing!  Our regular dentist looked at him and said that he could fix it, but that he wanted to use laughing gas with him because of his age.  The problem was that it was already being used with another patient at the time.  It was then suggested that the other dentist in the office may have time later in the day, so he came in and looked at Ben’s tooth and said that he could fix it right then!  He decided that he could do it without the laughing gas and use the laser.

2014-02-27b

Ben had some decay in that tooth as well, so he was able to clean it all out and put a filling in without any problems at all.  Ben didn’t hardly even flinch.  I was so impressed!  I’m so thankful that his first visit wasn’t as traumatic as I was picturing it in my head. 

Emma was so disappointed that she didn’t get to go that I booked a check up for her on Monday!  She’s is so excited!  I’m booked in that day too… but I’m not quite as excited!

1 comment: