Wednesday, June 24, 2015

A Holy Woman

On the weekend I had the opportunity to attend a Tri-Stake Relief Society Conference where Sister Wendy Watson Nelson and Sister Sheri Dew were the guest speakers.  Initially, I wasn't sure I wanted to put in the effort to attend.  Lennard was gone, I would have to find a babysitter, and I don't enjoy huge crowds.  When I found a babysitter without any problems, I decided that I'd better just go and just make sure I was there early enough to get a seat.  The doors opened at 1:00 and I arrived at about 1:05.  There was a line up clear to the street to get in to the high school!  Apparently there were about 40 women in line at noon!  I managed to find a seat on the chairs (instead of the bleachers) and sit on an aisle (which helps).  Since my mom is in Nauvoo, my sister-in-law, Trisha, came and sat with me.

Sister Nelson made a number of great points in her talk, but the thing that impressed me the most was when she asked the question: "What would a holy woman do?"  As she told stories and examples of things a holy woman would do, it made me think about my own life and how I need to make a greater effort to be 'holy'.

D&C 46:33 "And ye must practice virtue and holiness before me continually."
D&C 60:7 "...For I am able to make you holy."

She also told us that we could pray for assistance from our loved ones that have passed on to be a help and guidance for family members that are struggling.  That we have the right to ask for angels to help us.

Moroni 7:29 "And because he hath done this, my beloved brethren, have miracles ceased? Behold I say unto you, Nay; neither have angels ceased to minister unto the children of men."

Another statement she made is that we need to keep our covenants with more exactness.

"Holiness is a product of covenant living." (Sister Bonnie D. Parkin, Ensign Oct 2002)

All of these statements had me examining myself and giving me a greater desire to DO.  At one point of her talk she said, "If you've been meaning to do something - DO it!"  So, yesterday, while the kids were out playing, I pulled out my scriptures and started to study.  What does it really mean to be holy?

Most of the references I found all had to to with the Holy Ghost or temples, etc., but I found a quote by President James E. Faust (Ensign, May 2005, 62, 67-68):

"Holiness is the strength of the soul.  It comes by faith and through obedience to God's laws and ordinances.  God then purifies the heart by faith and the heart become purged from that which is profane and unworthy.  When holiness is achieved by conforming to God's will, one knows intuitively that which is wrong."

The word holy in Hebrew is qadash which means to be sanctified, consecrated, and dedicated or to be separated from the world and worldliness.

Leviticus 19:2 - "...be holy: for I the Lord your God am holy."

"Take time to be holy each day of your lives."
 - Harold B. Lee, Teachings of the Presidents of the Church, 2000, pgs 175-84)

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to her speak and would have loved to listen to her longer!  Sister Dew ended up with very little time to speak, unfortunately, but her talk definitely worked with Sister Nelson's.  She asked us the question, "What do you KNOW for sure?"  She said that through making covenants that we are given access to power.  We need to always be learning and growing and that questions are good as they lead to answers.  They help us to keep growing.  I love that.  So many times we get nervous when we hear others (or ourselves) asking why about some gospel principle.  She was very clear in that if we never ask questions, we'll never grow.  Just because someone has questions, or doubts, it doesn't make them a bad person or someone to be shunned.  By asking questions and being willing to put the work in to find answers we progress in our gospel knowledge.

Over the last few days, I have definitely caught myself replying to the kids and stopping myself and asking if that is how a holy woman would respond to them.  Sometimes it was... sometimes it wasn't. I am definitely learning to be a better mom and wife.  I can only hope that my family can see that and have patience when I'm not as 'holy' as I should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment