Monday, October 3, 2016

Let's Add One More Thing

The last few days I've been feeling a bit off and yesterday I figured that I might have a UTI or a kidney infection the way I was aching.  It wasn't a lot of pain, just discomfort.  This morning, after I got the kids off to school, I got a rice bag heated up and was just going to go lay down.  Lennard popped in and told me that there had been a change in plans and that he was going to fly to Creston with my Dad to get some stuff done on the plane.  He did ask how I was feeling - and at that point I was uncomfortable, but not in any pain.  It was only a half hour after he left (of course), that I got more uncomfortable and decided that maybe I'd better go down to the clinic to find out exactly what was going on.  When I called for an appointment, they were completely booked, but they said that he would accept walk-ins, so I went.  Within a very short period of time, I went from being uncomfortable to having a bit of pain to being in constant pain that I was having trouble dealing with.  I'm sure I put on a good show in the waiting room... After a while, I asked how long it would be and the receptionist said that there was only one person ahead of me.  But then I waited and waited as two more people were called in.  By then I was at the point of needing to be seen immediately or I would have to head to the ER.  Thankfully, after inquiring again and explaining how much pain I was in, they got me in to one of the rooms.  I was in so much pain by then, that when the doctor came in I broke down.  So embarrassing.  I finally was able to explain what was going on.  I was quite frustrated because it felt like kidney stones, but I've been on daily meds to prevent them for three years!  After a quick test, it was determined that it was indeed kidney stones.  The doctor called over to the ER with orders for me and I headed over to the hospital.  I made a quick call to my mom, and thankfully she was able to come in to Town and be at the house for when Ben got home from kindergarten.  I was seen right away.  The frustrating/crazy thing about it all was that as soon as I got to the ER, the pain almost went away.  I decided to still get the IV in hopes that it would help flush the stones out.  I was so cold that even with a warm blanket I had my coat on top and I was still shaking.  My mom stopped by with Ben after and he was quite concerned about me.  He even teared up and didn't want me to stay at the hospital.  What a sweet boy.  
 It wasn't too long after that that they unhooked the IV (and left the needle in my hand in case I needed to come back), wrapped me up and sent me home.  I spent the rest of the afternoon in bed feeling completely exhausted and achy.  Ben went out to Mountain View with my mom and left me to rest and then they came back in in time to take Emma to gymnastics.  Lennard finally got home around 4:00 or so.  He was pretty upset that he hadn't been around all day for me.  What a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment