Friday, February 22, 2019

Impromptu Trip

The kids have been off school all week for Family Day and then Teacher's Convention, etc.  They have had fun with play dates, etc.  Lennard was in Red Deer overnight for some meetings Tue/Wed and then had a Flying Club thing in Lethbridge Thursday night.  Just a normal week for us... until today! 

Lennard went off to work and I was having a super lazy morning.  I hadn't got out of my pajamas yet when I got a phone call from Lennard saying that he thought that we needed to go to Omaha to see his Dad.  We've been really worried about him all week as he was admitted to the hospital last weekend.  Alicia has been calling with updates and it's been on Lennard's mind a lot.  It's hard living so far away and not being able to just go whenever.  Well, it finally got to the point where he felt we needed to fly down there.  He looked up flights and told me that I had half an hour to pack for everyone so that we could get to Calgary and catch the flight!  To say that it changed my lazy morning would be an understatement!

I raced through a shower and got dressed while Lennard got all the suitcases out from the garage.  Then, I instructed the kids what they needed to bring me from their rooms so we could pack!  It got a little hectic!  The kids were SO excited that they finally got to go see Grandpa!  They'd been asking all week if we could go.  They were also thrilled to get to use their suitcases again and ride on a big airplane.

As we were pulling away from the house, I was making phone calls.  My parents - so they could watch Buddy; the Elementary school - so I could cancel work that I was scheduled for on Monday; Mindy - to let her know we wouldn't get to Lethbridge today to sign the guardianship papers for Tyler; Primary teacher - as I was supposed to sub on Sunday, etc.  Thank goodness for cell phones!

We got to Calgary, found parking and got checked in without any issues.  They had us sitting all over the plane, but once we got to the gate, I was able to get the seat assignments changed, while Lennard went and grabbed something for us to eat.  He'd barely got back when it was our turn to board!  Whew!  What a morning!

 The kids loved the moving sidewalks.
 We had some dinner in Minneapolis at Panda Express.  Yummy!
 The kids were so tired, but just wouldn't give up.  We tried multiple ways to try to make them comfortable, but it never happened.

 We finally put a movie on the iPad for them.  (I forgot to pack headphones...)
Unfortunately, our flights out of Minneapolis were delayed and instead of getting to Omaha at about 10:00ish, we were WAY later.  (We didn't get in until after 2am)
 Lennard might be smiling here, but it was a long wait to try to keep kids happy.
We were so grateful for Don & Alicia coming to get us at the airport.  They arrived just as we got to the luggage carousel and within 10 minutes we had our bag and were on our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment