Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Day 8 - Tour of PEI

The weather is playing a big part of this vacation... and not always in a good way!  Today during the weather briefing I had to laugh.  One minute it was all good to go, and the next they were recommending not going, etc.  We finally decided that we would probably have at least 4 good hours this morning, so we hopped on the shuttle and headed to the airport.  A lot of others had the same idea so we had some good company.  We found someone to sell us some oil for the airplane, got the plane ready and headed out to circumnavigate the island.  It was so beautiful!  I wish the skies had been a bit clearer, but at this point we'll take what we can get!  I took a LOT of pictures while we were up, so I'm only going to include a few (lots more than a few... but you don't have to look at them all!)

I love PEI.  Just walking out to the plane made me smile to see all the yellow and purple flowers everywhere.  
I had my longer lens on the camera when we took off so I could get all the planes, but this gives you a bit of an idea of the planes that are tied down at the airport.
I loved seeing all the red coastlines.
More coastline.
Another view of the Confederation Bridge.
There were so many light houses!
This is one of the wind farms on the far end of the island.
Another lighthouse... not in perfect focus as it is extremely difficult to zoom in, hold the camera still enough and get it to focus on anything other than the canopy!
More scenery.
Love the patchwork fields.
After we got back from flying, we got a shuttle downtown and went to lunch at Lobster on the Wharf.  I had fish & chips and Lennard had a fisherman's platter.  SO good!  We ended meeting up with Darren, his dad and Guy there, so we had lunch together and then wandered around a bunch of the shops.  We found some fun gifts for the kids.  Can't wait to see their reactions!  

It started to sprinkle just as we got the shuttle back to the hotel and then poured once we got to our room.  We were glad that we didn't get caught in it!  The Century Flight had a Wing night at the hotel tonight that we went down to.  It was a bit interesting as everyone showed up at the same time and the wait staff got completely overwhelmed.  No one got their orders very quickly and it was really loud. I finished my dinner and headed back up to the room.  I'm actually looking forward to a nice early (quiet) night!

Stats... another hour and 45 minutes of flying time!

8 comments:

  1. Marylou,
    thanks so much for all the photos. I lived in Charlottetown for 1 year doing my internship. The flight path to the airport went right over the house I lived in so I suspect you flew right over the house! There also used to be the summer curling bonspiel that I would go over to that was in a town about 1/2 way between the bridge and Charlottetown. Enjoy your stay and the Island hospitality. How long will you be staying in PEI?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are supposed to be here until Friday, but we might have to leave sooner because of the weather. Not sure at this point!

      Delete
    2. Well, the old saying of Maritime weather - if you don't like it, wait 15 minutes sure was true today. Hope you have an enjoyable remainder of your stay.

      Delete
  2. Love the pics. I grew up on Anne of green gables and road to avonlea. I can't wait for the day I can finally visit PEI too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely worth a visit! I love PEI

      Delete
  3. Looks like you are having a great time. The picture of the two of you should be put up on your wall -- it's a great one of both of you!

    ReplyDelete