Monday, July 1, 2013

Happy Canada Day!

I had big plans for today.  I was excited to cross off some more of our bucket list items, namely going to the parade in Raymond and watching fireworks with the kids.  Well… unfortunately, things didn’t go as nicely as I had planned. 

Yesterday evening I started feeling achy and wondered if I was getting another kidney stone.  I had hoped that I would be able to pass it quickly and feel well enough to do everything I wanted to do today, but that wasn’t the case.  This morning I was still feeling ‘off’, but thought that I might be able to still do the parade.  I got the kids clothes ready, got a shower, got dressed and then it hit me.  The pain started by then and I knew that there was no way I was going to be able to go to the parade.  I was not happy!  I managed to snap a few squinty pictures of the kids and Lennard before they headed out and then I went into the house, took some good meds and headed to bed. 

IMG_2452

I managed to sleep for a bit and thought I would be able to manage the pain at home, but by noon it was getting pretty unbearable.  I called Lennard and told him that I was going to head down to the ER and managed to drive myself to the hospital.  I could hardly sign the paper at admitting and was doubled over talking to the nurse in the ER.  She was more concerned about when the last time was that I had kidney stones was… and at that point I couldn’t really think too clearly!  Apparently they were busy, so I was instructed to take a seat in the waiting room.  I was really trying to breath through the pain, but it was getting bad enough that I was almost to the point of passing out!  Thankfully, my dad came and stayed with me while Lennard took the kids home and got them something to eat.  After an hour of the most excruciating pain, I was finally taken to a bed.  It then took another half hour before they got an IV in!  To say that I was thankful for the morphine would be an understatement!  Once the pain was under control, my body wouldn’t stop shaking and it took a while to get comfortable.  Finally, I was able to doze off and start to recover.  They loaded me up with two bags of saline, a couple doses of morphine and some gravol.  I was feeling pretty good by then! 

At about 4:30 I was allowed to head home.  I was still very woozy and nauseated, so I didn’t have anything to eat and just went straight to bed.  Thankfully, I was able to pass the stones this evening and I’m starting to feel much better.  Definitely not what I had planned for the 1st of July… but definitely memorable!

Lennard did take the kids down to the Party in the Park while I was sleeping and then woke us all up at 11:00 to go down and watch the fireworks… so at least I got to watch the fireworks with the kids!  It was their first time seeing them and Ben sat in my lap and shook the entire time.  He didn’t like the noise at all!  Emma had her hands over her ears most of the time, but I think she liked them for the most part.

2 comments:

  1. I saw the kids at Party in the Park. I wondered where you were. Sorry to hear you were not feeling good.
    I can't believe your adventure is getting so close!
    I will keep blog stalking you for updates!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meagan! We're definitely getting excited! One week to go. Hope the weather will cooperate with us.

      Delete