Monday, July 15, 2013

Scary Experience

Yesterday evening we decided to go see my newest nephew, Jeffrey, in Lethbridge.  I was so excited to see him and get some snuggles in before we leave on our trip.  We had a nice time visiting with Roger & Trisha.  Emma was completely intrigued with Jeffrey and held him a couple of times.  Ben didn’t want to hold him, but he thought his little toes were pretty cute. 

2013-07-14a

About half way through the visit, Ben started getting a bit warm to the touch, so we decided to head home and get some Tylenol into him.  We were heading home and about 5 minutes out of town when I heard a funny noise, turned around and discovered Ben in a full blown seizure.  My heart stopped.  There is nothing worse than watching your child suffer and not being able to do anything about it.  I encouraged Lennard to drive a little faster and get us to the hospital.  We made it in record time.  By then he had started to slowly come around and was crying when I got him out of his car chair.  I ran into the hospital and just as I reached the doors, he started vomiting everywhere.  Thankfully, the admissions clerk saw us coming and  just opened the ER doors for me and we got immediate attention.  It took a while for Ben to settle down, he was very disoriented, but slowly we were able to get Tylenol into him to get the fever down and then the doctor was able to determine that he probably has a mild case of Strep throat that caused the fever, bringing on the seizure.   It ripped my heart out to see how upset Emma was for her little brother.  She sat in the chair and just cried, “I want to play with my brother!”  We have explained to her what happened and she knows that Ben will be okay.  Thankfully, he has not had any more seizures and we have him on antibiotics now. 

2013-07-14b    2013-07-14c

We finally got home from the hospital at about 11:00pm and he went straight to sleep.  Lennard slept by his side to make sure he would be okay and then at about 3:30am we just brought him in to bed with us.  He wouldn’t settle down at all, so I finally gave up and took him downstairs at 4:30am.  I am exhausted, Ben is exhausted, Lennard is exhausted and Emma is wondering why we’re not playing with her and getting a bit frustrated at the amount of attention that Ben is getting. 

I spent the entire morning holding Ben and watching him catch up on his lost sleep.  When he woke up, I ended up having Emma climb up on my lap too to have some snuggles.  I love my babies.

It’s definitely not been what I had planned for today.  A lot of the excitement for our trip has disappeared, in fact we seriously considered not going at all, but after seeing the improvement in Ben today, we decided that we will go as far as Swift Current tomorrow, check in and see how Ben is doing and then decide whether we continue on or return home. 

We spent the evening at the airport loading our bags, washing the plane, and just going over last minute details.  Some of the excitement/nervousness has now returned and we are hoping that everything will work out.  Time will tell!  Stay tuned for the latest Nichols’ Nuthouse adventures… it’s definitely never dull!

No comments:

Post a Comment