Friday, March 28, 2014

Operation Organization and a Very Special Letter

Earlier this week, I sat down and listed every single room in our house and every possible thing that be organized within that room.  It's a daunting list!  The nice thing about it is that I'm not looking at my kitchen and wondering where to start.  I have it broken down in to small, manageable parts.

For example, yesterday I worked on the master bathroom cupboard and under the sink and the medicine cabinet in the kitchen.  Pretty simple tasks, but they obviously hadn't been done in a LONG time.  I found a lot of expired meds, old lotions, etc.  I got everything sorted and a lot of things thrown out.  It felt so good!  I even threw out things that were still technically good, but that hadn't been used in forever and probably wouldn't be used.  (Melissa will be proud of me!)

Today, I started another project... organizing our budget.  Can I just say that figuring out what to throw out of our medicine cabinet was a much more pleasurable job.  What a mess!  I have tried so many different budgeting methods and nothing seems to be working.  I feel like we are in a hole and I can't see the light from where I am.  I just feel like I keep digging deeper and deeper.  I know that's really not the facts, but it sure feels like it today.  I have to get on top of things again and it might mean that things get a little tighter around here.  I just hate being the mean guy that always has to say 'no'.

In and amongst all this 'fun' of figuring out our budget.  I figured I needed to clean off our desk before I could really figure things out.  Get all the old bills out, etc.  Then I opened the cupboard and pulled out my file organizer there and went through it, getting all the unnecessary things out of it.

As I did this, I discovered a letter that my grandma wrote me.  I knew that it was there, but I need to find a special place for it so it doesn't get lost (yet another project).  As I read the first few lines, I got choked up as I thought about my angel grandma.  She was such an amazing lady.  When I was 16 I asked her to write a letter for me to open when I got married.  There are so many truths in this letter.  So many things that make me wish I could just give her a big hug and thank her for always being there for me... even when she isn't physically here.  Her letter was just what I needed today. I'm sharing it here so that I always have a copy of it no matter what happens to the paper copy!

"My Dear Mary Lou,

As you have asked me to write this letter to be opened sometime in the future, I sit trying to think of the things I'd like to tell you.  You are such a special daughter of our Father in Heaven. Take every day as it comes to you, one day at a time, and try to always think of the positive happy things God has blessed you with.  Some things we can't change in life, so we have to make the very most of what we have and not worry about them.  Since you are tall, stand straight and be as tall as you are and when you wear a smile you are so very beautiful.  Change the things that are possible for us to change.  Make the most of your talents and you can do anything you set your mind to, and do it well, because God has blessed you with a bright mind to help you.  Always keep your standards high as you are now, read good books, never watch degrading movies because they are Satan's sewer line into your home to make your mind and your thoughts and your heart impure.  Heavenly Father tells us that cleanliness is necessary because his house is a house of order.  Then when hard times come in your life, as they always do, you then can 'trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him and he shall direct your paths.' Proverbs 3:5-7.  That scripture has been a great help to me in my life.  He also said, 'Peace I leave with you my peace I give unto you.  Not as the world giveth I unto you.  Let not your heart be troubled neither let it be afraid.' And as one great man has said, "Put your hand in the hand of God and walk out into the darkness, and it shall be unto you better than the known way."  So when things are dark and you can't see any way out of them, just reach up and put your hand and your faith in God's hand and he will lead you out of it safely, when you have done everything you can.  When troubles come we have to diligently try to find the answers and then ask the Father if it right and if it is he will either give you a peaceful  feeling or a burning in your heart that you will know that it is.  Cherish the beautiful little things in life.  Find time to smell the flowers and all the beauties of the earth Heavenly Father has given us.  And when you are choosing a mate be sure to go with only those who can take you to the Temple to be married.  Watch how kind he is to his mother and sisters, see if he helps in the home.  Pray and ask God if he is the right one and you will not go wrong in your choice.  The sounds of Love don't just happen, they have to be made.  Love is a fragile things it has to be nourished every day.  Children are life's greatest blessing if you are kind and loving and patient and always consistent.  When they are very little if you tell them to do something in a very kind, firm way, always see that they do it and they will be a blessing to you.  Find something every day to be grateful for.  We were sent here to be tried and tested in all things so that we would grow and God could trust us in all things. So that he could say, 'Come ye blessed of my Father, enter into my rest.' Which would be the greatest of all gifts.  May this be your lot.  Your Grandpa and I love you very dearly and may our Heavenly Father's choicest blessings attend you always.  


Love Grandma Webster"

6 comments:

  1. Yup, so proud. ;) - Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I would have asked Grandma to write a letter too. That was amazing. Thank you for sharing! Good luck with all of the organizing. Can you come and do mine next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured that most of what she said in that letter is applicable to every single one of us. I think I'll be 'organized' out, by the time I get through my mess! ;-)

      Delete
  3. Wow, so many words of great wisdom in there! What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can hear her voice when I read this -- love it!

    ReplyDelete