Saturday, July 21, 2018

Off to Nauvoo!

It was a nice cool morning when we got up this morning (only 18°C).  We got going by 8:00 am.
We stopped in Coralville, IA to go to Costco and load up on stuff before we got to Nauvoo. As we followed the GPS to the address, we saw the sign for Costco and then saw a massive parking structure!  We were really glad it was tall enough for us to get the truck and trailer into it!  We parked on the far side of the garage and then walked the entire length to get to the entrance.  We got a bunch of Gatorade and ended up with a few more items... We grabbed some lunch and then headed out.
We missed an exit and ended up taking the scenic route to the highway.  We were all so anxious to get to Nauvoo!  We stopped in Keokuk for a few groceries at Walmart and topped up with fuel.
We were all so excited to get to the campground.  When we arrived there was another trailer in our spot.  We wanted to get the trailer cooled down so we just pulled into the spot next to it (#7) and set up.  I did text Elder Nielsen and he came and said we could just stay where we are - which is a blessing because the site we're in has more shade!  Just as we pulled in, we saw Chad and Louisa (my cousin) come in!  They ended up in the site right next to us!  We weren't there very long when my mom and dad showed up too!  The kids sure ran into their arms!   
We all visited for a while and then went down to the pageant grounds to see if there were any seats left. We found five together near the back (my mom is going to sit with us).  We then headed back to the trailer.  We had a quick supper... basically just snacked... then the kids took off to explore the woods. 
We went to see Sunset on the Mississippi and then the Pageant.  It was so fun!  The kids got to be part of the opening parade and make their own hats.  I especially loved the Senior missionary men's number and the Nauvoo number with the YPM's "spraying" for bugs. 

 We didn't do much at Country Fair, but Emma snuck in a quick dance with Lennard.

It's 11:00 pm as I write this.  We got back to the trailer and are still attempting to get the kids to sleep.  I'm exhausted... not just physically, but mentally and emotionally.  Watching the Nauvoo Pageant tonight was just as amazing as every other time we've seen it, but I had a completely different perspective as I watched and imagined us all on the stage! I'm very overwhelmed while Lennard is bouncing with excitement.  This is SO far out of my comfort zone and I'm nervous.  I pray that I can relax and just go with the flow.  I pray that the kids will be good and learn their parts.  I pray that I can figure out how to do my hair.  In all my fears and doubts I know that this experience will help me grow.  I want to be a better mother and wife and not be so controlling - it's hard though! We're going to church at Pageant Headquarters with my parents in the morning and then our adventure begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment