Thursday, May 1, 2014

Youth Auction and Dinner

Last night we attended our ward’s youth auction and dinner.  We had a wonderful roast beef dinner – and I didn’t have to do any cooking or cleaning, so it was even better!  Lennard donated a couple of flights and I brought a caramel praline cheesecake to be auctioned off.

As we walked in and were looking at everything that was being auctioned, Emma spied a ‘pink’ cake (angel food cake with pink icing).  She was determined that we needed to ‘win’ the cake.  When it got time for the auction, she was waiting and ready.  Unfortunately, things got a little crazy!  I finally made Lennard quit bidding when it got to $340!  Yikes!  Don Williams ended up buying it for $360.  I couldn’t believe it.  When the YW walked past us to bring the cake to the Williams’, Emma was crushed.  She started crying and so I quickly took her out of the gym so that we wouldn’t cause a bigger scene.  I got her calmed down fairly quickly with the promise that we would make a pink cake tomorrow.  Joanne Ferguson even offered to make Emma one, as she is the one who had made the ‘pink’ cake.  Too crazy.

Anyways, the night went on and money was going everywhere.  It was amazing to see the support our youth has in this ward.  We ended up getting an emergency kit for the truck, a night of babysitting from the YW and a huge basket of Lindt chocolate! 

2014-04-30b  2014-04-30a

Today, I went out with the kids and I let Emma pick the cake mix.  When we got home and got ready to make it, she decided she wanted to play instead.  I had to laugh as she said, “You can make it while I’m playing and surprise me!”  She was very happy that I put heart sprinkles on it.

After we’d had about half the cake for dinner and I got the kids in the bath, the doorbell rang.  I opened the door and there was the bishop!  I guess he had talked with Emma last night and she told him we were going to make a pink cake today and he told her that he would come check it out.  I was so impressed that he would follow through with such a small thing… but a big thing for Emma!  She didn’t even get to see him since she was in the tub, but when I told her that the bishop had come to look at her cake she just lit up and was so excited.

IMG_5307IMG_5308

We’ve had fun having Grandpa Nichols visit this week.  We wish he was a permanent fixture around these parts! (hint, hint!)  The kids loved having him read stories to them and it was a nice break for me too!

No comments:

Post a Comment