Monday, November 26, 2012

Gratitude Day #26: Oh Christmas Tree!

A couple of days ago we pulled out the second-hand Christmas tree that I bought off the local buy and sell.  To say that it was a ‘Charlie Brown’ Christmas tree would be an understatement… there were branches falling off, ‘needles’ shedding and so many lights that we couldn’t get the branches spread properly.  After about 15-20 minutes of fighting with it, Lennard looked at me and I knew… we were going to be heading to Costco to get a new tree.  We have wanted to get a nice, pre-lit Christmas tree for a few years now, but we’ve always decided to spend the money elsewhere.  This was the final straw though.  We loaded in to the van and headed for Lethbridge.  Unfortunately, we didn’t clue in to the fact that Costco closes early on Saturdays and we ended up being 5 minutes too late and they were closed.  Grrrr!  We picked up a few other things that we needed at other stores and headed home ‘tree-less’.

Needless to say, guess where I was heading this morning?!  Yup… to Lethbridge to get a Christmas tree!  I loaded the kids into the van and we were at Costco almost as soon as they opened the doors.  The kids had a blast riding on the ‘big’ cart and then balancing on top of the Christmas tree as we went through the check-outs!  What an adventure.  I would have taken a picture, but I was a little busy keeping kids from falling off a moving cart!

My gratitude moment for the day?  I’m grateful for the symbol of a Christmas tree and for the opportunity we are given each year to look beyond ourselves and see other’s needs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment